Saturday, December 28, 2013

Remember those who have Less

           Every year I try to set aside a percentage of my income as a "tithe". I have been doing this since before I can remember. Truly, my parents felt very strongly about tithing to the church. Whatever I made, 10% went to the church. There were so many times where I thought of the things I'd rather do with that money. Despite that, I have always tithed. Currently I do not attend a church, but I still tithe. I simply choose a few charities each year to which I donate. I view the tithe as very important. I have a job and income. I have been very blessed in my life and thus should do what I can to help others.
           Here are a few charities that I think are really wonderful.

          The Festival of Sharing takes place the third Saturday of October in Sedalia Missouri. The group I went with worked as a distribution team. Meaning, cars would pull up to the loading docks and give us a list of what kits they were to get. We would collect the kits and load the vehicles. All different denominations of churches and organizations come together to raise money for kits. There are baby bundles, prison kits, school kits, and so forth. These kits are sent to women's shelters, schools, anywhere that needs them. It was always a satisfying but exhausting time. One year it rained the whole time. One time we PACKED this little car to the seams (were weren't sure we'd manage it but we did) with all sorts of kits, right after that this big bus pulled up and got one box of beans. Anyway, it was a really awesome experience.
Find more information at www.umocm.org
 
          Heifer, as the name implies, is an international organization that helps poor communities to gain a means of income. They also help provide schooling, women's empowerment, clean water, and so much more. They don't just give money. You can buy an animal (seriously, how cool is it you say you bought a water buffalo?), that animal is then sent to a particular community and they are taught how to care for that animal and how to use it to create income. They can sell milk, or use the wool for weaving, honey from the bees, and so on. It's great because they don't just give handouts. They are really trying to get these people to be self-sufficient and create businesses.
Visit their website at www.heifer.org

          Rainbow House is a crisis shelter for children and teens. That pretty much says it all. I believe there are some that might be closer, but I give to the one in Columbia, MO.
www.rainbowhousecolumbia.org

          I also like to support local food banks. The Mid-Missouri Food Bank and now that I'm in KC, Harvesters. These groups are always struggling and need as much support as they can get. No one deserves to go hungry. Other groups I like to support are local animal shelters. We always had strays or shelter pets. Jesse and I got our dog from a state park. She is a wonderful creature. I just can't understand people who can throw them away.

          So those are some of the organizations I support. I feel it's important to help local and if you can, those in other countries. We tend to get so wrapped up in Christmas and finding the "perfect" gift. Helping those who have less and are in need is a wonderful gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment